Wednesday 2 March 2016

Vintage Hairstyles


1950s Vintage Hairstyles


Hair Paddings


Today Kanika introduced us to a few techniques for creating 1950s hairstyles. She also talked about the use of hair paddings to give updos some more volume. I found this technique really helpful because it is something I will definitely need for my end of the year project. I am doing a 'Louis XIV. with a modern twist' themed look with huge avant garde hair, so I will definitely need to create a lot of hair paddings for that.




























































I started this look by sectioning my model's hair into three sections horizontally. 
























I then clipped away the two top sections and using heated hair rollers, I started rolling up her hair for some texture. I used different sizes of rollers for different textures. I used the biggest rollers on the top section of her hair for the most volume. 
























Unfortunately I did not take any pictures of the outcome because I was struggling a bit with this style and completely forgot to take any photos. But after taking out the rollers, I gently backcombed my model's hair for more volume and sprayed it with hair spray. We were aiming for something similar to this look:



I grabbed a hair padding and started to wrap the hair around it in an upwards motion, starting from the base of the neck. Unfortunately I did not have enough time to finish this look because I took my time setting my model's hair. My model also had very thin and straight hair so the curls did not last in her hair at all. Next time I will make sure to finish setting her hair on time so I have enough time to complete the whole look.

YouTube tutorial on how to make hair paddings:



Reference:

Rushtonable, C. (2012) How to make hair padding/filler [Online] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA4Q2ASn7ZM
(Accessed: 3 March 2016)

No comments:

Post a Comment